Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Eat, Pray, Love

I've mentioned a few times in this blog my extraordinary ability to remember my dreams. And then today I read Alejandra's blog about how much she goes around life dreaming.... And I thought about this book I'm reading.. its called Eat, Pray, Love, about a woman's search for pleasure in Italy, devotion in India, and balance in Indonesia over the course of one year... The reason I mention this is because while she is in India learning about yoga, meditation, religion, spirituality, etc...one of the things she talks about is the four states of human consciousness: 1. the waking state, 2. the dreaming state, 3. state of deep sleep, 4. turîya, which permeates and transcends the three states of ordinary consciousness. Only the most experienced, gifted yogi can achieve a permanent state of turiya, which is the closest you can get to be with God, while at the same time God is within you and you are God. Some of us can experience the turiya without even trying... its like experiencing a sudden happiness that you cannot explain and then it goes away without any explanation either. She says that remembering your dreams can an example of turiya... How interesting...

Now, I haven't finished to book. I just started to read about her journey in Indonesia. I highly recommend it though. Eat, Pray, Love is a memoir by Elizabeth Gilbert. It is really, really, good. Her writing style makes you feel like she is sitting in front of you. It cracks me up. In this book you can find yourself and your friends and learn and explore where you are in life. I'm telling you when I was reading all about her Italy experiences, I was inspired to eat and cook delicious stuff. Her studies in India had me all thoughtful and evaluating every aspect of my life... We'll see where Indonesia takes me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the sound of it... you can count me as a person in deep sleep. I could sleep forever it seems, and I have crazy dreams too. Maybe we should start a crazy dreamer club or something...

Volare said...

I'm all down for this dream club. I'd rather not be the secretary because dreams take too long to write. Maybe it should be one of those non-hierarchical organizations.