I tried to be strong and avoid this social/cultural phenomenom. But after the influence of some friends and perhaps trying to recover from one of the worst summers of my life, i started.... and i finished the first 6 books in 20 days. Then I saw the movies, eveloped my own theories... and, I admit, started to write in a fanficition site. I know. I'm a nerd.
I waited with anticipation for two years.. for the 5th movie and the last book. After an unsuccessful attempt to watch the Goblet of Fire in an Imax screen in Chicago, I was determined to watch the 5th movie on the 3D screen. I failed once again in this attempt, to much deception since the last 20 minutes of Order of the Phoenix are probably the most exciting, filled with special effects & sound I've ever seen on the big screen.
I reserved my copy of Deathly Hollows the first day I was able to do so on Amazon.com and was looking forward to wake up on Saturday July 21,2007 to UPS buzzing my apartment.... Yet my parents decided to come visit me that week and I spent the weekend in Chicago.... while my copy of the book arrived to an empty apartment... waiting to be read by its rightful owner.
Yet, on Sunday evening, when I saw the book on my desk, where Ryan had put it, I was almost afraid of opening. I've been a fan for only 2 years... less than most people our there... and here I was about to read the end of the story I had become so attached to. I took the cover out and placed it in a safe place so I wouldn't damage it while I was reading, opened the book to the last page and looked at the last word. It wasn't scar. And I started reading. And it took me 6 long days to finish. Before starting that epilogue I took a deep breath... it would be over soon... And I got all teary eyed as I closed it. "And it was well"
Its been a few weeks since that historic moment... yes, historic... because I was part of the generation that started reading without knowing the end. Yeah, probably the book will be studied in classrooms, and our kids and their kids will read them... but the anticipation of not knowing... thats only part of me, and us. We were here, it became part of our lives, and we made it history...
1 comment:
I am one of those people who has never been hooked on Harry. I am actually kind of embarassed to say it to fans, but I read the first book and never opened another...Does that make me a cold-hearted reader?
Post a Comment