Saturday, September 06, 2008

The evolution of my feelings about Sarah Palin

When Barak Obama announced Joe Biden as his VP pick, I was a little disappointed. Not because of Biden's qualification but because of the almost universal hope of seeing an Obama-Clinton ticket at this year's election. I was disappointed that he chose a much older and experience counterpart, a move that challenged republicans. I felt Obama was telling them: 'whats going to be your argument against me now?'

And the Republicans had it. The secret weapon: Sarah Palin. A woman that until August 29, 2008 only 683,478 people knew (683,478 is the population of Alaska, that translates to 0.2% of the US population). Bold move. Now John was telling Obama, "I don't discriminate against women and I chose one to join my ticket." I was pleasantly surprised by McCain's announcement. I was excited to get to know her. But before I was able to google her, I had the opportunity to actually go listen to her in O'Fallon, MO at a republican rally. The rally was ok. Lots of country music and low caliber politicians talking about how terrible Obama is. They also explained that the reason America needs to continue digging for oil because we NEED the space and security of large SUVs and minivans (puke). But after 4 hours of waiting in line, melting in the heat, and listening to nonsense, McCain and Palin made their appearance. They spoke briefly and to the point, thanking the crowd, telling us who they were and what we could expect from them. I was happy to know that the candidates didn't waste their time on any bs or trash talk.

And then I get home and all over the internet there's speculation about Palin's youngest son actually being her grandson. I dismissed all this. She didn't. And felt obliged to announce publicly the pregnancy of her 17yo daughter. This part was a little shocking. But like Obama said, being one of the few to publicly defend Palin on the issue, her daughter's pregnancy has nothing to do with Palin's ability to govern a country.

So now was time to find out about this woman's experience and political positions.
*She's pro-life. Awesome!
*But she supports abstinence-only education. Our first disagreement. But I'm sure she bases her stance on her family's own experience. I have nothing but respect for people that abstain from sex, but in my opinion abstinence is unrealistic and idealistic when it comes to large numbers of people. I also think that abstinence is more a moral decision based on religion and values than a state/federal issue. In the end of the day, no one can control or regulate what happens behind close doors. So if you want to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies, which in turn will reduce the number of people that want abortions, teach the kids everything there is to know about protection during sex and that little thing called morning after pill. But I'm sure she has bigger plans for our kids education.
*For example she will relocalize the money assigned to explicit sex-ed programs to gun-safety education for children. Because it makes a lot of sense to own and learn how to use a gun in case of confrontation. I think it makes more sense to not give people guns so you never get confronted by someone that has one and need to know how to use it.
*She's against pretty much all gay rights. Again, a position that I think is very personal and based on religion and moral values. I believe sexual discrimination should be unconstitutional (as in a federal issue). Marriage is a legal contract between two people that gives them more rights and privilege that your next door neighbor. Those rights include healthcare, retiree benefits, and even deciding when to turn off the plug at your death bed. And assuming you give your full consent, your legal partner, is the person you want to do this. And lets say you are gay, you live with someone for 50 years but are not allowed to legally marry them. You are at your death bed, someone needs to decide when to turn off the plug. You don't have any brothers and sisters or cousins or relatives. Well, the hospital will keep you alive... and then when you die, the state that didn't allow your marriage in the first place will probably confiscate all the money left on your 401k. And your partner is left with nothing but emptiness. So yes, I believe in equality of rights. But it seems like no candidate really wants to deal with this and get their hands dirty. So,they all opt for giving the state the last say on gay unions. I guess there's more important issues to deal with in the next 4 years. Like the war in Irak.
*"I've been so focused on state government, I haven't really focused much on the war in Iraq" Yup. That's came out of Palin's mouth shortly after she took office as a governor. Well, you have about a month to catch up on the last 6 years before Biden eats you alive when this comes up at the VP debates.
*Maybe one of those state issues she needs to deal with every day is global warming, since Alaska is one of the places seeing its more dramatic effects.... But despite all the scientific evidence out there... Earlier this year the federal government listed polar bears (we've all seen artic tale) as endangered species Palin threatened to sue them! She also opposes strengthening protection of the beluga whale. Of course all this will interfere with Artic National Wildife Refuge drilling which according to her is essential to achieve our energy independence. I am not exactly sure how producing the oil there will reduce gas prices.

I can't comment on any more of her political positions because there’s hardly any information out there about what she thinks about Russia, Immigration, crime, homeland security, Cuba, Africa, and stem cell research.

Then, I heard Palin speak again at the GOP convention. I was almost able to say the speech with her, as the first half was a carbon copy of what I heard her say a few days earlier, with a few additions here and there. And then she spent the rest of her time trashing Obama, trashing the press, and misguiding the people about what the other party’s political positions.

And then comes the news about how she's under investigation for corruption. The case is about abuse of power.

Today I am enraged. I am so angry that McCain chose Sarah Palin for running mate. I feel that any other republican (even his wife!!!) was more qualified than Sarah Palin for the job. And as a woman I feel ashamed to be represented by Sarah Palin. I am sad that this woman is the one setting the precedent for the rest of us who might one day run for legal office. And after I heard political experts predict that this election will be decided by the uneducated American women, I feel like the Republican Party is using Sarah Palin to prove that women are not capable. I am angry at her because she's lending herself for such a monstrosity and for exposing her family to public ridicule.

No comments: